RE: FW: Chapter 7.3.2 in S1000D Issue 2.3

At 03:06 PM 12/22/2006 -0800, Cruikshank, David W wrote:

>Lofton,
>
>Thanks, that exactly the kind of answer I've been looking for.  I know
>pointing to the "latest version" address is a little tricky in a spec
>that is subject to contractual agreement, but I think it's all I can do
>for now.

Yes, it seems the best solution given your constraints.

On the positive side, the "Latest Version" URI *will* be the REC at the
time of publication of S1000D (it is PR now).  Thereafter, if the spec at
that URI is different, it will only be by incorporation of errata (e.g.,
2.0 Second Release), and that is not likely to happen for at least a year
or two.

Future S1000D publication could point to a dated version if need be, and
that would probably be before there is anything different at "Latest Version".

(Btw, I didn't mean to imply that every URI in /TR/ corresponds to an
immutable document -- "Latest Version" is obviously built specifically to
violate that.  But, by W3C process constraints, in principle it is
considerably more stable than a similar address in /WebCGM/Group/, and it
will always correspond to a version of REC.)

-Lofton.