RE: Interop requirements for extensions

I don't think that WG believes this is the right decision to require 2 implementations of each extensions, the extension is a framework, the input and output are what is tested, each extension is optional to implement, not all extensions will be implemented. Each extension must be registered in the IANA registry. The extensions are extensible, as new extensions may be created and registered.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Swick [mailto:swick@w3.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 6:59 AM
To: Samuel Weiler <weiler@w3.org>; W3C Web Authn WG <public-webauthn@w3.org>
Cc: Anthony Nadalin <tonynad@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Interop requirements for extensions

On 2018-03-16 05:15 PM, Samuel Weiler wrote:
> TL;DR: what is the problem, if any, in marking extensions as
> "informative" (v. normative) when moving to CR, in the absence of
> prover interoperable implementations?
>

> During the WG call on Wednesday, Ralph, acting as director, pushed
> back on publishing not-yet-implemented and
> not-yet-proven-to-be-interoperable
> extensions as normative.  He offered the WG the option to still
> publish them but flagged as informative, marking the extensions as "at risk"
> during the present transition to CR.

To be clear, the only change for the CR would be to say that *if implementation experience has not been demonstrated for those "At Risk"
features when the WG asks to advance this specification to Proposed
Recommendation* then rather than removing those features from the specification (the common approach in W3C), the features would be changed from normative to informative.*

That is, the CR can continue to propose these features as normative.

> I heard some objections from the WG, but I don't understand those yet.
> Now's your chance to make the case in writing.  If you think we need
> something different make the case for it, knowing that doing so might
> delay publication.
>
> I have proposed text below (as has John, in private mail) that takes
> the director up on the offer that would still allow the WG to publish
> unimplemented or untested extensions.

I interpret the proposed text as matching the clarification above.

-Ralph