Re: Interop requirements for extensions

On 2018-03-16 05:15 PM, Samuel Weiler wrote:
> TL;DR: what is the problem, if any, in marking extensions as
> "informative" (v. normative) when moving to CR, in the absence of prover
> interoperable implementations?
>

> During the WG call on Wednesday, Ralph, acting as director, pushed back
> on publishing not-yet-implemented and not-yet-proven-to-be-interoperable
> extensions as normative.  He offered the WG the option to still publish
> them but flagged as informative, marking the extensions as "at risk"
> during the present transition to CR.

To be clear, the only change for the CR would be to say that *if
implementation experience has not been demonstrated for those "At Risk"
features when the WG asks to advance this specification to Proposed
Recommendation* then rather than removing those features from the
specification (the common approach in W3C), the features would be
changed from normative to informative.*

That is, the CR can continue to propose these features as normative.

> I heard some objections from the WG, but I don't understand those yet.
> Now's your chance to make the case in writing.  If you think we need
> something different make the case for it, knowing that doing so might
> delay publication.
>
> I have proposed text below (as has John, in private mail) that takes the
> director up on the offer that would still allow the WG to publish
> unimplemented or untested extensions.

I interpret the proposed text as matching the clarification above.

-Ralph