suggested erratum, webarch 3.3

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:59:05 +0100
To: public-webarch-comments@w3.org

Hello public-webarch-comments,

Problem:

AWW states in section 3.3. Inconsistencies between Representation Data
and Metadata:

"On the other hand, there is no inconsistency in serving HTML content
with the media type "text/plain", for example, as this combination is
licensed by specifications."

I am concerned that this could be interpreted in an entirely different
way to the sense that was mean while this section was being discussed.
for example

- "its okay for my server to serve everything as text/plain
or application/octet-stream. AWW says this is fine for HTML"

- "my browser understands what is obviously meant when an html file is
served as text/plain, and displays the HTML as normal. AWW says this is
okay".

Suggested resolution:

Be more clear on exactly what is licensed in the above example. For
example, the following wording:

"On the other hand, there is no inconsistency in serving HTML content
with the media type "text/plain", for example, as this combination is
licensed by specifications and results in the plain text source of the
HTML file being displayed. Silently 'correcting' the text/plain to
text/html and displaying the HTMl as normal would not, however, be
licensed by specifications."

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead