Re: Proposal to advertise automation of UA

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Sergey Shekyan <shekyan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that attaching a HTTP request header to synthetically initiated
> navigation requests (https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#navigation-request)
> will help authors to build more reliable mechanisms to detect unwanted
> automation.

​I don't see anything in that spec about "synthetic" navigation requests.
Where would you define that? How would you define that? Is a scripted
window.open() in a browser "synthetic"? what about an iframe in a page?
Does it matter if the user expected the iframe to be there or not (such as
ads)? What if the page had 100 iframes?

Are you trying to solve the same problem robots.txt is trying to solve? If
not what kind of automation are you talking about?​

-
​Dan Veditz​