Re: Request for comments: Permission Delegation to Iframes

I understand the motivation behind this proposal.  Particularly, in the
User Research study done[1], it is clear that users don't understand the
difference between a top level page and an iframe. However, there are a
couple things that I don't like about this proposal that are a result of
section 5[2]:
* Assume google maps is embedded in yelp.  I want to give google maps my
location, but not yelp.  With this proposal, there is no easy way of
doing this (as described in section 8).
* Assume a user grants location access to google maps.  They later visit
yelp.com, yellowpages.com, and tripadvisor.com.  They will get the
geolocation permission prompt 3 more times on each of these pages, when
before, their one time grant was enough.

Here is another proposal that aims to handle some of the four reasons
described in section 4:
* Top level website can decide whether or not frames can request
permissions with a frame attribute:
<iframeid="embedee"src="https://maps.example.com/"can-prompt-for-permissions="yes"></iframe>

* If a user grants a permission for a top level site that is later
embedded, the embedded site will still have the permission.

With this proposal
* An embedder has some control over how annoying an embedee can be. It
can allow trusted frames to prompt for permissions while denying access
to less trusted frames.
* The user makes their decision based off their trust for the top level
site.  And the top level site decides what embedded content is
trustworthy enough to prompt their users.
* We avoid unnecessarily prompting the user for a site that is often
embedded and that they have already granted permission for.
* We honor the principal of least privileges, ensuring that only the
site that needs the permission gets it.

I also wonder if delegation is worth doing for all permission types.  Is
Chrome collecting data on the percentage of mic/camera/pointer lock/etc
permissions requested by frames?  Maybe we could restrict this to a
subset of permissions.  Also, 3.5% seems high for notifications; do you
have any examples of when an embedee would request notification access?
That seems like a decision that can be better made when the user is
actually visiting the top level site.

Thanks!

~Tanvi

[1]