Re: Proposal to add a browsing context named "_private"

@Joel, @Crispin: Thanks for the comments; I do see your point of views.
I've responded to some of your comments inline:

> Why effectively ban that for users who want [NSFW links in browsing
history]?
> The web site has no business telling the browser whether or not to
preserve this browsing history. [...] I would be REALLY offended if a web
site turned off my history for me.
However, the use cases I had in mind were a bit more nuanced. I do see
websites offering different "modes" through user-preferences (site
specific, not browser specific): the default one keeps opening pages via
target="_blank" or target="_new" and the alternate mode sets
target="_private".
So this feature will, just like almost all other features, need buy in by
vendor sites.

On a side note: I am not sure how the other browsing contexts (i.e.
"_blank" or "_new") came to be: perhaps they exist only for legacy reasons.
I'm afraid I haven't done my homework there. >_<

> Gay sites don’t need to be in-private at all if you are George Michael,
but they really need to be in-private if you are Larry Craig.
This sounds like user preferences which George Michael and Larry Craig may
want to set on the sites they browse. Currently, they _cannot_ do that. Not
without third-party plugins anyway.

>   Shopping for jewelry: not normally salacious, but one might want to do
it in-private if shopping for a spouse’s surprise gift, and especially if
one is shopping for a secret mistress’s gift.
Indeed. So these websites will almost never willingly set target="_private"
on their links. The browsers will still continue to let the user switch to
incognito mode if they want to.

> That sounds more like a feature request for making it easier to get into
private browsing mode. I think Chrome already does that by adding the "open
in incognito" right-click menu item.
I agree: this is a sort of a feature request which reduces UI/UX friction
rather than do something which cannot be done at all otherwise. They way I
see it: if the website **knows** that the user wants to open a link in
incognito mode and wants to give the browser this "hint", then the browser
should be able to make use of it. That was the purpose of my extension as
well: making it easier than Right-click + mouse movement + click to open
something in incognito mode. On a mobile device, personally, the effort
required is even more (long tap + open incognito + tab switch). I'd be
happy if the browser switches "Open in incognito mode" and "Open link" in
the context menu when target="_private" is set. Perhaps there is an easier
way of doing this (i.e. passing hints from the website to the browser)?

@Patrick:

> I was more thinking about maliciousness between browsing contexts. [...]

Interesting suggestion. Perhaps standardizing the Incognito behavior will
help in mitigating such attacks?

~
ut