Re: Post-Zakim calls? (Re: [webappsec] Teleconference Agenda 29-Jun)

W3C's planned use of WebEx is purely as a replacement for the audio
features previously provided by the Zakim bridge (ISDN-POTS) -- you can
dial in or use a computer or mini-computer (mobile/tablet) to connect.
The features of the java client are unnecessary for our purposes.

WebAppSec is free to experiment with other modes of interaction. so long
as we can meet accessibility considerations and cross-platform
availability.

I look forward to webrtc's ubiquity! (and greater privacy-preservingness)

--Wendy

On 06/30/2015 07:22 AM, Mike West wrote:
> The WebEx client requires Java (at least according to
> https://www.w3.org/2006/tools/wiki/InstallingWebEx); that's going to make
> it pretty hard to run in Chrome. :/
>
> -mike
>
> --
> Mike West <mkwst@google.com>, @mikewest
>
> Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München,
> Germany, Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891, Sitz der
> Gesellschaft: Hamburg, Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth
> Flores
> (Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> I think WebEx has a video feature.  At least they do in Spark.

>>> If we're dropping Zakim in any event, I'd _very_ much appreciate moving
>>> to something with a bit more F2Fness than a phone call. Video, for
>>> instance, would be exciting. Skype, Hangouts, Hello, etc.
>>>
>>> I haven't used WebEx in quite some time, but I vaguely remember it
>>> requiring a plugin (and not being awesome). It seems like the TAG has
>>> backed off using WebEx for their meetings, as well, which isn't a positive
>>> sign.
>>>
>>> Is WebEx a done deal, or is there some wiggle-room for exploration?
>>>
>>> -mike

Policy Counsel and Domain Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)