Re: CORS explained simply

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 11:59, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> CORS addresses two needs:
>
> 1) Reading the contents of a resource across origins (not possible so
> far)
>
> 2) Allowing more types of fetches (with other methods and headers) to
> be made across origins.
>
> Of those, 1) requires altering the response by including some header
> that indicates sharing the body with the other origin is okay and 2)
> requires a preflight.
>
> The original CORS specification called fetches that did not require a
> preflight "simple", but I have not carried that terminology over into
> Fetch. It is somewhat confusing.

I seem to remember I did a chart showing such a "simple" CORS request:

<http://odin.s0.no/tmp/Hodges_odinho-CORS-Diagram-SimpleRequest.svg>

It wasn't used since it needed some fixes.  Which I didn't do and also
don't remember what was. :)

I think it might look a bit strange on some machines if you don't have
an appropriate font.  It'd be nice to also show a preflight request, and
also the case where there is no CORS header from the server (and thus
the user agent won't let the page read the "hello world" reply).

--
  Odin Hørthe Omdal
  odinho@opera.com