Re: CORS explained simply

Yes.  There is no simple explanation of "simple request" because it doesn't
have a simple explanation.  All the unstructured cross-origin stuff
browsers decided to do without any really coherent guiding principles over
the first dozen-ish years of the Web, they can keep doing.  Anything new
requires CORS.  In hindsight, "legacy request" would probably have been a
better name.

The spec is already somewhat long, and the algorithm of what is allowed and
what is not is as concise as possible.  I don't think it would be improved
by another ten pages of historical motivations and browser archaeology, as
interesting as that might be in a different context.

It is a very fair criticism, and an observation I have made myself, that
the spec is written primarily for an audience of web browser implementers,
and not for those deploying CORS in an application context.  But I'm not
sure why, at this point, developer-oriented resources like WebPlatform.org
and MDN aren't the best choices to fill that gap.

I will note that:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Access_control_CORS

is quite good, for example.

-Brad