Re: New Spec - Web Share API

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 09:20:14 +0200
To: Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Cc: Matt Giuca <mgiuca@google.com>
On 2019-08-07 07:39, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Hi All,
> We are happy to announce that we've adopted the Web Share API from the WICG, as per our Charter: The spec "defines an API for sharing text, links and other content to an arbitrary destination of the user's choice."
>
> Currently implemented in Chrome (Android), Safari (iOS and Desktop), and Firefox is working on a prototype implementation.
>
> If you'd like to be involved in the standardization process, please join the discussion at:
> https://github.com/w3c/web-share/
>
> We hope to publish a FPWD soon. The spec is viewable at:
> https://w3c.github.io/web-share/

There are virtually tons of Web-2-Native applications which through pretty unsane tricks accomplish bi-directional communication; Web Share does not seem to change that.

It's a pity that social media oriented features have gotten precedence over regular programming needs.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2015Apr/0053.html

FWIW, I'm currently in the very early phases of exploring a potential "loophole" in the W3C/Google Web API strategy for coping with this requirement which several people have expressed interest in.  If the experiment succeeds I will post the result in this list.

thanx,
Anders