Re: Limiting new members emails

Dear All,

I would like to support Léonie's point. Joining a new team/group can be
quite daunting and the best way for new members to contribute is to make
them feel welcome, give them all the information they need to do so, and
make it clear that their contributions are valued. The warm welcome message
that I received from Léonie when I joined recently did exactly that. It put
me enough at ease that I felt able to contribute straight away rather than
go into observation mode first.

I also echo Patrick's point that it is good to hear about new members,
their background and their expertise. To reduce noise, we could recommend
that responses to introductions should go to the member only rather than
being copied onto the mailing list as well, but I feel that losing the
welcome and introduction emails altogether would be detrimental.

Kind regards,

Anne