Re: Limiting new members emails

On 04/05/2017 10:10, LĂ©onie Watson wrote:
> On 01/05/2017 13:27, marcos@marcosc.com wrote:
[...]
>> We need to find better ways of on-boarding new people than sending
> these emails.
>
> Which probably means we could do better at making them feel welcome
> and/or helping them get started. The idea of introducing them to another
> active participant is worth exploring - how do you think it might work
> in practice?

(Biting my tongue not to comment on the irony that this thread about
limiting the amount of emails sent to this list probably accounts for
the largest number of emails I received from this list in a while) I'll
just add that I don't mind the occasional "such and such joined" message
on various W3C lists. Easily ignorable, and I often find it quite
interesting to know/see who joined and to perhaps reach out to them
(off-list, sure) to offer help/advice to get started.

The "there's no need to introduce them, let their contributions be their
introduction" argument does smack a tad of meritocracy.

With that, I'll go back in lurk mode so as not to anger the
message-counters.

Patrick H. Lauke