Re: Limiting new members emails

> On 1 May 2017, at 10:03 pm, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2017 06:50, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> Hi Web Platform WG Chair,
>> In the interest of reducing email noise, I'd like to request that the
>> Chairs stop sending new member announcements to the list. Although
>> it's lovely that people introduce themselves, etc. what is more
>> valuable is that new members get up to speed on how to best contribute
>> (on Github! ❤️).
>
> Thanks Marcos.
>
> Helping new members actively contribute is definitely valuable. We send each new member pointers to useful information like our work mode, pub status (which includes links to all Github repos), and encourage them to contribute - or ask questions if they're not sure where to start.
>
> We also welcome them to the official WG list because, as you note, it's a lovely thing to do. It also helps existing WebPlat members discover people with knowledge that is useful to the work being done - and enabling them to reach out to new members to encourage them to contribute to a particular spec or activity.

I think this might be my 11th year here, and I've never seen this happen. Of course, my experience may not be representative.

The way we collaborate had radically changed since we moved to GitHub, and this list is increasingly becoming irrelevant (in a good way).

I'd rather new folks be paired up with existing participants if they want to get started. I'd be more than happy to get new members started rather than them sending greetings emails.

> So although it creates a few additional emails, it feels like something worth doing in the interests of making people feel welcome and helping them find ways to actively contribute on Github.

I personally find it unhelpful to both the group and the new members (because in reality new members rarely contribute).

We need to find better ways of on-boarding new people than sending these emails.