Re: Limiting new members emails

On 01/05/2017 06:50, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Hi Web Platform WG Chair,
> In the interest of reducing email noise, I'd like to request that the
> Chairs stop sending new member announcements to the list. Although
> it's lovely that people introduce themselves, etc. what is more
> valuable is that new members get up to speed on how to best contribute
> (on Github! ❤️).

Thanks Marcos.

Helping new members actively contribute is definitely valuable. We send
each new member pointers to useful information like our work mode, pub
status (which includes links to all Github repos), and encourage them to
contribute - or ask questions if they're not sure where to start.

We also welcome them to the official WG list because, as you note, it's
a lovely thing to do. It also helps existing WebPlat members discover
people with knowledge that is useful to the work being done - and
enabling them to reach out to new members to encourage them to
contribute to a particular spec or activity.

So although it creates a few additional emails, it feels like something
worth doing in the interests of making people feel welcome and helping
them find ways to actively contribute on Github.

Léonie
--
@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem