Re: Clipboard API: remove dangerous formats from mandatory data types

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Wez <wez@google.com> wrote:

> Hallvord,
>
> The proposal isn't to remove support for copying/pasting images, but to
> restrict web content from placing compressed image data in one of these
> formats on the clipboard directly - there's no issue with content pasting
> raw pixels from a canvas, for example, since scope for abusing that to
> compromise the recipient is extremely limited by comparison to JPEG, PNG or
> GIF.

Well, but as far as I can tell we don't currently *have* a way JS can place
pixels from a canvas on the clipboard (except by putting a piece of data
labelled as image/png or similar there). So if you're pushing back against
the idea that JS can place random data on the clipboard and label it
image/png, how exactly would you propose JS-triggered copy of image data to
work? Say, from a CANVAS-based image editor?
-Hallvord