RE: Push API and Service Workers

My understanding here is that we want to leverage the "push client" in the OS.  That will provide new capabilities without dependency on a direct connection between the app and the app server.

-----Original Message-----
From: Domenic Denicola [mailto:domenic@domenicdenicola.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:59 PM
To: Shijun Sun; public-webapps
Subject: RE: Push API and Service Workers

I'm not an expert either, but it seems to me that push without service workers (or some other means of background processing) is basically just server-sent events. That is, you could send "push notifications" to an active webpage over a server-sent events channel (or web socket, or long-polling...), which would allow it to display a toast notification with the push message.

So from my perspective, implementing the push API without service workers would be pretty pointless, as it would give no new capabilities.