Re: Push API and Service Workers

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Shijun Sun <shijuns@microsoft.com> wrote:

> My understanding here is that we want to leverage the "push client" in the
> OS.  That will provide new capabilities without dependency on a direct
> connection between the app and the app server.

You are correct about leveraging the underlying platform's push system, but
without a serviceworker you still require the webapp itself to have an open
window to handle the request, otherwise you risk launching an app with a UI
when the user is not expecting it.

Now the same thing can be accomplished by a push specific system where the
app author declares a tiny JS file to be used as the push handler. In this
case the 'tiny JS file' is the serviceworker since we are already building
the infrastructure in.

Nikhil