RE: [Custom] Custom elements and ARIA

From: Nick Krempel <ndkrempel@google.com>

> Have you considered allowing ARIA attributes to be set on a shadow root.
>
> The semantics would be that the browser uses the value of an ARIA attribute on the (most recent) shadow root for an element, and only if it's not set there will it fall back to the value of the attribute on the shadow host.

I would prefer to solve this purely with custom elements, without entangling shadow DOM into things. For example, a custom-elements version of <hr> should not need an (empty) shadow root just to get accessibility on par with native <hr>.

Shadow DOMs are already "CSS scoping boundaries" and "event delegation boundaries" mixed up into one; I would prefer not to further add "accessibility overrides" to their capabilities list.

It is an interesting and innovative solution, though.