Re: [Custom] Custom elements and ARIA

Have you considered allowing ARIA attributes to be set on a shadow root.

The semantics would be that the browser uses the value of an ARIA attribute
on the (most recent) shadow root for an element, and only if it's not set
there will it fall back to the value of the attribute on the shadow host.

This seems to allow for the scenarios you outlined. (In the case of an
element restricting the possible values of an ARIA attribute, you would
incur a microtask-length delay in updating the (shadow) ARIA attribute in
response to an attributeChangedCallback, but this doesn't seem problematic?
At least the (shadow) ARIA attribute would never have an invalid/unexpected
value, merely its old value for slightly longer, and of course that delay
wouldn't be visible to the page - it would just see the unmodified value it
set on the shadow host, as for native elements.)

Nick