Re: Selectors: name find method and find signature

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> In any case, my real questions revolve around generic vs branded methods and
> whatnot, which are not covered by those two bugs.

I think they should be generic, just like the methods on Array which
this object inherits from. That's why we want to return
this.constructor for queryAll too rather than just an Elements array.

>> (One even questions using IDL for this at all
>
> Why?

Because IDL doesn't really deal well with this.constructor-type stuff
and generic methods. Updating IDL to make that work have proper
terminology hooks is fine for me too.

> The IDL specification style is a lot less error-prone to implement for
> non-JS-engine-hackers than the ES specification style, for what it's worth,
> since it allows implementors to work with objects that have sane behavior in
> the implementation language, not whatever weird behavior the js engine API
> imposes...

TC39 and like-minded people are pushing in the direction of the
platform being mostly a JavaScript library which would indeed give you
exactly those problems... I'm not really sure how to reconcile those
two views.

> It's also a lot less error-prone for spec writers.  I'll note that the
> methods added here are totally underspecified at the moment.

Anything other than these aspects?

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/