Re: [XHR] request error distinction: abort and error

On Aug 30, 2013 4:05 AM, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On a general note, "if window.stop() is invoked" is not appropriate
> language. window.stop() could set some flag for XMLHttpRequest to look
> at, or have some other kind of connection, but implicit connections
> are bad. We should remove those when we encounter them.

Why? I agree that it can be hard to define order of externally visible
effects, such as events, if there are any. However from a readability point
of view indirection through state flags just makes the spec harder to read.
So I don't see why removing such a pattern would be a goal in and of itself.

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> > I come to the opposite conclusion. If the user stops a request then we
> > should assume that the user wanted to. We shouldn't assume that users
> > are erratic and don't know what they are doing.
>
> Given the UI for that (pressing Esc, right?) I would expect it to be
> more accidental.

No, pressing escape does not cancel requests in updated browsers.

/ Jonas