Re: [webcomponents]: Making Shadow DOM Subtrees Traversable

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:00:08 -0400
To: Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>
CC: Daniel Buchner <daniel@mozilla.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, Blake Kaplan <mrbkap@gmail.com>, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>, William Chen <wchen@mozilla.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 3/12/13 7:11 PM, Scott González wrote:
> It's been a while since I looked at this spec, what are the ways in
> which you can get access?

You mean in the "hidden" case?

For example, overriding Node.prototype.appendChild with your own
function such that any time script in the component calls appendChild
you end up getting a reference to the parent and the new child.

Or overriding Array.prototype.* so that any time script in the component
tries to use jquery stuff you can see all the things it's sticking into
arrays.

I can probably come up with a bunch of other examples if you want.

In the non-"hidden" case, I believe .shadowRoot is how you get access.

-Boris