Re: File API for Review

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:14:39 +0000
To: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Cc: Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Feb 6, 2013 8:59 PM, "Arun Ranganathan" <arun@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Greetings WebApps WG!
>
> Review on the File API is encouraged:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
>
> A few substantial changes that might need particular attention before we
initiate a call for LCWD or something comparably official:

> 1. autoRevoke behavior of Blob URIs has changed.  Previous drafts made
the autoRevoke behavior on by default (by consensus), but didn't harness
revocation to a suitable and unambiguous "scope."  Thanks to a fix to
HTML[1] we can leverage the global script clean-up jobs list, to which we
add revocation of Blob URIs.  Blob URIs are thus either scoped to the next
time global script clean-up jobs are processed (by default), OR when
document unloading steps are processed if the developer opts out of the
default but never pairs it with a call to URL.revokeObjectURL, OR when
URL.revokeObjectURL is called.

> In particular, this behavior defers from shipping implementations such as
IE10.  This is possibly the biggest change:

> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#lifeTime
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#creating-revoking

I would definitely like to get input from other implementers if this is a
change that you are willing to do?

> 2. An utility to smooth line ending variations (Unix vs. Windows) has
been added, but is an orphan interface currently.  Nobody's fussed over
this, and it might not be a problem at all, but I'd like to draw your
attention to it :)  While currently only relevant for DOMString arguments
to the Blob constructor, we might work with the utility to add other
arguments (including ArrayBufferViews, etc.).

> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#convenienceAPI

Given how recent this addition is, and given that it's fairly easy to
implement in JS directly, I think we should drip this feature from v1 and
reconsider for a later version.

As it stands now it doesn't really seem to add a lot of value.

/ Jonas