Re: [IndexedDB] Inform script of corruption recovery

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Kyle Huey <me@kylehuey.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM, David Grogan <dgrogan@chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> When chrome opens an IDB database, it attempts to detect corruption. If
>> the database appears to have been corrupted, either via software bug or
>> hardware fault, chrome performs "recovery." As currently implemented (we
>> may try to do something more surgical in the future), "recovery"
>> means removing all the origin's databases from disk and creating a new
>> empty database. It would be useful to alert script that some data has been
>> lost in this situation. The web app could then alert the user or take other
>> appropriate action. This is important in offline editing scenarios, where
>> this represents true user data loss rather than just a flush of a data
>> cache.
>>

> Do you expect to ever be able to implement something more granular than a
> per-database recover or discard?  I would imagine that's as surgical as it
> is going to get.

We've talked about checkpointing, which would allow chrome to recover
everything except the last N commits.

> I think the answer to that question impacts how we design this.

I'm assuming you mean because a surgical recovery could leave the version
intact and make a new property on the upgradeneeded event inaccessible? In
that case we could also put the property on the success event that comes in
response to open().