Re: document.register and ES6

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:25:00 +0000
To: Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>
CC: Scott Miles <sjmiles@google.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, daniel <daniel@mozilla.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
On 2/8/13 5:11 PM, Erik Arvidsson wrote:
> 1. We cannot really extends anything else but HTMLElement/HTMLUnknownElement.

Note that this restriction is not limited to polyfills.  Extending other
HTMLElements with a custom tagname seems ... highly undesirable to me.
In particular, if you have an element whose localName is not "button"
but which is an HTMLButtonElement then some aspects of its buttonness
will work in some UAs and other will not, and the set will depend on the
UA and on the extensions installed and so forth.

If we need to subclass built-in non-generic HTML elements we need to do
so with nodes which have the right localName.

-Boris