Re: Keyboard events for accessible RIAs and Games

Thanks for the link to the Event Level-4, it does indeed address some of
the issues of Event Level-3 (unmodified human readable persistent key
values). There are two comments I'd like to make based on my understanding
of Event Level-4 so far.

To the first comment: The persistent description might not offer a user
something he recognizes. This becomes relevant in the case I'm arguing for
when a Web-Developer wants to construct a mapping dialog (example
screenshot
http://codeflow.org/entries/2013/jan/30/keyboard-events-in-javascript-are-broken/blender.png
).

So for instance the (slightly contrieved) combination ctrl+shift+/+1 would
read as: CtrlKey+ShiftKey+ForwardSlash+Digit1

A possible translation to a users locale primary unmodified symbol for a
printable key is still something that is desired (and is practised by any
shortcut mapping dialog in existence).

The second comment: It is often desirable to have a numeric identifier (as
well as a string) in certain combinations of resolving events to actions. A
string necessitates usage of an object whereas a numeric identifier can be
mapped trough an array. The latter is often preferred due to JS not having
true hashes, and it might offer faster lookup (which while not particularly
relevant in realtime, may become very relevant at event replays).