Re: Kickoff application manifest work

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Marcos Caceres <mcaceres@mozilla.com> wrote:
> The current proposal can be found here:
> http://manifest.sysapps.org/

I wonder to what extent we actually need a manifest. I think it's main
benefit might be in grouping a set of pages, but whether that needs to
be via a manifest I'm less sure about.

A requirement that keeps coming back for web applications (i.e. those
served in a browser over HTTP, such as https://www.twitter.com/ ) is
that multiple of them per origin should be supported. Reasoning for
this is simplicity of deploying new applications and to some extent to
reduce the number of DNS queries for a suite of applications. Downside
of that approach is increased attack surface for a suite applications
and no trivial boundary between them (given a URL it's not clear to
which application it belongs).

Navigation Controller solves the grouping of a set of pages using an
origin plus wildcard matching for a set of URLs, although as currently
proposed a subset of those URLs might be something else altogether
again, without much declarative control.

For event pages/workers you'll want something similar. To identify
what a URL's associated event page/worker is.

It might be though that maybe we should put the boundary for
applications on the web on the origin level. It would certainly be
extremely convenient and allow for a whole bunch of simplifications.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/