Re: [cssom-view] Adding elementsFromPoint() to Document

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
> On www-style [1] I've suggested adding an elementsFromPoint() method to
> cssom-view that returns all the elements under a particular point sorted
> in paint order. It was suggested at our face to face meeting last week
> that I should ping webapps to see if you all had feedback on the idea.
>
> This list of elements is something that people construct for themselves
> when they want it, stepping through the list by deleting the top element
> or setting pointer-events to 'none', then reconstructing the stack. I am
> assuming that a browser's ability to determine this list will be an
> essential part of fully supporting 'pointer-events:none' in CSS.
>
> If this change passes muster I have a further proposal for using this list
> of elements (mentioned in [1]), but this first step is useful by itself.
> I'm wondering whether anyone here has comments on adding
> elementsFromPoint() or would be interested in implementing it.

+1, obviously, though my opinion in WebApps isn't worth much since I
already supported it in CSSWG.

But I know that, say, Elliot Sprehn would give a strong +1 to this as
well, since he's complained about having to use those exact hacks
before, when implementing various projects within Google.

~TJ