Re: Two years on and still no sensible web storage solutions exist

From: Todd Blanchard <toddvblanchard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:50:21 -0800
Cc: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, Andrew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>

On Nov 12, 2012, at 10:27 AM, Florian Bösch wrote:

> The hard quota is not my idea. It's what those browsers who do implement WebSQL implement. Unlike IndexedDB which triggers a "do you want to allow yadda yadda" or whatever, at least sometimes, WebSQL is hard limited to 5mb.

Actually, asking for more than 5M triggers a "I can haz mor?" dialog as well.  The limit is equally soft.  At least IME.

But I don't get the philosophy disconnect. If the user is going to object to 5M of user data in a database, he certainly isn't going to be happy with giant files all over the place.  I certainly wouldn't be happy about it.  Disk bytes is disk bytes.