Re: [UndoManager] Disallowing live UndoManager on detached nodes

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:32:18 -0500
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Cc: olli@pettay.fi, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Kentaro Hara <haraken@chromium.org>, Sukolsak Sakshuwong <sukolsak@google.com>, Adam Barth <abarth@webkit.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org> wrote:

> It is not worse either way. Equally bad both ways. But, we're designing a
>> new API here, so we should make the API as good as possible from the start.
>> And I think that means allowing multiple undo stack must be in. The
>> default handling could be somehow platform specific.
>>

> Maybe I didn't make this point clear but we're not going to implement
> multiple undo managers in a single document (at least as it's currently
> spec'ed) in WebKit regardless of how useful that feature is. *Our
> implementation feedback is that we can't implement it*.

I'm a bit confused: first you said that UndoManager's default behavior
should be able to represent the platform's native convention (which means
handling Windows's undo-stack-per-input-field), and then that you're
effectively not going to implement anything but OSX's behavior (single undo
stack).  I'm probably missing something since I'm not familiar enough with
UndoManager; can you clarify?

--
Glenn Maynard