RE: [selectors-api] RfC: LCWD of Selectors API Level 1; deadline July 19

From: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:20:12 +0000
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu" <kanghaol@oupeng.com>
CC: WebApps Working Group <public-webapps@w3.org>
> From: Lachlan Hunt [mailto:lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au]
>
> I'd like feedback from implementers about how best to address the issue.
>   The options I can think of:
>
> 1. Disallow all comments within the selector for this API. Throw SyntaxError
> when they are used.
> 2. Allow comments, but define that unclosed comments should throw a
> SyntaxError.
> 3. Allow comments, define that unclosed comments are silently ignored.

I just checked in IE10, and it looks like we actually do:

4. Allow comments, define that unclosed comments are automatically closed.

Behavior wise, this means that given the following OM:

The call: document.querySelector("#parent /* #child");

Returns the parent div successfully. I'm not sure that I'm thrilled about this behavior, but it is what it is...