Re: GamepadObserver (ie. MutationObserver + Gamepad)

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>wrote:
>
>> It doesn't matter if they're bugs (I often see them in conjunction to
>>> array buffer allocation).
>>>
>> Of course it matters. APIs shouldn't be designed based on implementation
>> bugs
>
> It doesn't because those "bugs" have not been fixed the last odd 15 years
> and with every new vendor repeating them enthusiastically, and the entire
> WebGL tool ecosystem is growing around those "bugs" to avoid to allocate,
> ever, during a drawing loop. If you intended to limit the damage, it's too
> late, done deal. That should've happend 3 years ago. Now it's just dealing
> with the facts.

Btw. about half of those projects reason for existence owes to this "bug",
Emscripten http://emscripten.org , LLJS http://mbebenita.github.com/LLJS/ ,
Heap.coffee http://syg.github.com/heap.coffee/ , gl-matrix
https://github.com/toji/gl-matrix and that's OK

It's OK because the other half these projects owe it to array buffers to
make things run blazing fast, since the JIT in V8 enthusiastically
optimizes JS, the reduced pointer indirection speeds things up and the
better cache coherence helps a lot.