Re: [IndexedDB] Numeric constants vs enumerated strings

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 19:33:15 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>, James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>, Odin HÝrthe Omdal <odinho@opera.com>, Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@chromium.org>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:56:05 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> Just to be clear. We've all been here long enough to know that Last
>> Call is not what matters, what matters is when implementations ship
>> and when enough content is authored that making incompatible changes
>> will break too much content. This is an argument you yourself has made
>> in other specifications and which I agree is reality we have to live
>> with.
>
> I've mostly made that argument when defining legacy features I hope.

Last I think I heard it was in relation to renaming CORS headers which
also is in WD stage.

> I do think for new features we should have some explicit call for review
> when the initial 80% of the work is done.

Sounds like a good idea. We should start doing that. What's the
process for getting that adopted as an official W3C or WebApps policy?

> Also, I believe to date no implementation
> has shipped Indexed DB per specification (that is, without prefix) so that
> we have this argument at all given that everyone should agree that following
> Web IDL is important is somewhat surprising to me.

We could certainly try to make this change when unprefixing, but at
that point I think it'll create more confusion and messyness than the
value it introduces.

>> If you are worried IndexedDB hasn't received enough review, I strongly
>> encourage you to start reviewing.
>
> I don't think I'm necessarily the right person, but I've pointed out that I
> think DOMStringList and numeric constants should go.

I still don't have a good enough understanding of what DOMString[]
means as far as being immutable goes. Possibly it's also something we
can change in v2.

/ Jonas