Re: [FileAPI] createObjectURL isReusable proposal

On 14.2.2012 5:56, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
>>> 2. Could we modify things so that img.src = blob is a reality? Mainly,
>>> if we modify things for the *most common* use case, that could be useful
>>> in mitigating some of our fears. Hixie, is this possible?
>> Anything's possible, but I think the pain here would far outweigh the
>> benefits. There would be some really hard questions to answer, too (e.g.
>> what would innerHTML return? If you copied such an image from a
>> contentEditable section and pasted it lower down the same section, would
>> it still have the image?).
> We could define that it returns an empty src attribute, which would
> break the copy/paste example. That's the same behavior you'd get with
> someone revoking the URL upon load anyway.
>
> / Jonas

To the point of reusability of blob url and actual existence of such
URL, we must also consider non-media usage: a element, window.open, etc.
I do see the ideal of preparing data with JS and letting them be
displayed/downloaded using those methods as quite usefull and intuitive.

Brona