RE: Obsolescence notices on old specifications, again

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:04:34 +0000 (UTC)
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
cc: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, ext Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Björn Höhrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Adrian Bateman wrote:

> I will wait to see the proposed text but in the meantime point out that
> Microsoft has regulatory obligations that require us to direct customers
> to these specifications until such time as there is a completed
> Recommendation that succeeds them. As a consequence we want to make sure
> these customers recognise that these are the most up-to-date completed
> specifications from W3C and are not confused by such a notice.

In that case we should definitely just publish what we have now in DOM4 as
a REC. It's far more "complete" than the decade-old DOM2 specs are.