[File API] Draft for Review

From: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:21:31 -0800 (PST)
To: "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>
Greetings public-webapps,

I'd like to encourage some review of File API:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/

You can send comments to this listserv, or file a bug, since this spec. now has a Bugzilla component.

Here are some notable changes:

1. Blob is now constructable, following discussions on the listserv [Blob].  We're not using rest params and ES6 syntactic sugar *yet* (arrays for now), but I still think it one-ups BlobBuilder.

2. URL.createObjectURL now takes an optional boolean, following discussions on the listserv [oneTimeOnly].

3. File's immutable "snapshot" nature means that it is prudent to specify correctly what happens following a post-reference modification; I'd like us to standardize NotReadableError (thrown as NotReadableError as DOMError following error event). [Snapshot]

4. Portions of the blob: protocol have been removed, following discussion on the listserv [Protocol1].

5. String length restrictions have been relaxed [Protocol2].

6. I'd like reader.readAsText(file) to be informed by the Encodings Specification [Enc].  I'll catch up with annevk about this separately, but I've changed the encoding algorithm to be neater.

7. readAsBinaryString has been disappeared [nukeRABS].

Please review the editor's draft at: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/

-- A*

[Blob] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/0439.html
[oneTimeOnly] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/1499.html