Re: [File API] Draft for Review

On 1/26/12 1:21 PM, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
> Greetings public-webapps,
>
> I'd like to encourage some review of File API:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
>
> You can send comments to this listserv, or file a bug, since this spec. now has a Bugzilla component.
>
> Here are some notable changes:
>
> 1. Blob is now constructable, following discussions on the listserv [Blob].  We're not using rest params and ES6 syntactic sugar *yet* (arrays for now), but I still think it one-ups BlobBuilder.

Yes, this is nicer. There's no way to create a new File object: I can't
set name and lastModifiedDate.

There's an error in the blob constructor code. It uses object notation
for the first argument instead of array notation.
var c = new Blob({b, arraybuffer});
Should be
var c = new Blob([b, arraybuffer]);

I don't understand the following example:
// Simply create a new Blob object
var x = new Blob(12);

> Please review the editor's draft at: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
I want to see the FileSaver (and a new, FileSaverStream) interface moved
into the File API.

I'd like the file writer API proposal dissolved, with FileWriter moved
to the FileSystem API.
http://www.w3.org/TR/file-writer-api/

Here's an addition to the FileSaver API, with the intended use case of
streaming data to disk.
This allows files to be transferred over websockets and to be opened by
the user and external programs while being written.

http://www.w3.org/TR/file-writer-api/#the-filesaver-interface
interface FileSaverStream : FileSaver {
     readonly attribute unsigned long long position;
     readonly attribute unsigned long long length;
     void append (Blob data) raises (FileException);
     void close();
};

That rounds out my desires for the final File API.

-Charles