Re: Obsolescence notices on old specifications, again

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:58:26 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>, Bronislav Klučka <Bronislav.Klucka@bauglir.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
2012/1/24 Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>

> Can we just compromise on the language here? I don't think we'll find
> agreement on the proper way to do spec work.
>
> How about: "DOM2 is no longer updated. DOM4 is the latest actively
> maintained version. <link to DOM4>"

That doesn't really work for me. What would work for me is something like:

"Although DOM Level 2 continues to be subject to Errata
Management<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#errata>,
it is no longer being actively maintained. Content authors and implementers
are encouraged to consider the use of newer formulations of the Document
Object Model, including DOM4 <http://www.w3.org/TR/dom/>, which is
currently in process for Advancing a Technical Report to
Recommendation<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#rec-advance>
."