Re: [editing] tab in an editable area WAS: [whatwg] behavior when typing in contentEditable elements

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> The reason is listed in WCAG2 section 2.1.2 and CR5.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
>>
>> The items suggest that a standard means of moving focus be maintained. Users
>> should be given simple instructions on how to move focus if the keyboard is
>> trapped.
>>
>> When the tab key is trapped, I recommend having the escape key move focus
>> and untrap tab. That said, that can interfere with full screen mode, which
>> may also use escape with varying success.
>
> What do programs like Word do?  Do they allow the user to escape the
> page and use tab to navigate the UI somehow?

Usually in desktop programs Alt is the escape sequence, taking you to
the menu bar where you can tab (or sometimes arrow) your way around.
Obviously this doesn't work for webpages, since Alt would take you to
the *browser's* menu bar.

~TJ