Re: String to ArrayBuffer

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
> The StringEncoding proposal is the best path forward because it
> provides correct behavior in all cases.

Do you mean this one? http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/StringEncoding

I see the following problems after a cursory glance:
 1) It doesn't support streaming encoding/decoding.
 2) BINARY and ISO-8859-1 are defined as functionally equivalent. It
would be better to keep BINARY and get rid of real ISO-8859-1, because
normally the Web platform doesn't support real ISO-8859-1 and
ISO-8859-1 is an alias for Windows-1252.
 3) UTF-16 is supported, which is bad, because it's a terrible idea to
use UTF-16 for interchange.
 4) It says "Browsers MAY support additional encodings." This is a
huge non-interoperability loophole. The spec should have a small and
fixed set of supported encodings that everyone MUST support and
supporting other encodings should be a "MUST NOT".

What's the motivation for supporting encodings other than UTF-8 and BINARY?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi