Re: String to ArrayBuffer

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:22:57 -0800
To: Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>
CC: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@google.com>
On 1/11/2012 3:12 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
> The StringEncoding proposal is the best path forward because it
> provides correct behavior in all cases. Adding String conversions
> directly to the typed array spec will introduce dependencies that are
> strongly undesirable, and make it much harder to implement the core
> spec. Hopefully Josh can provide an update on how the StringEncoding
> proposal is going.

Looking forward to it.
I'm not particularly worried about the dependencies, but, what I
proposed is likely to do the wrong thing.
I'd want the DOMString processed as a UTF8 string, and at that point,
we're stepping out of the way that other Web Apps APIs operate.

Is base64 encoding at all appropriate for a StringEncoding type?
Browser implementations of atob are not very good, and it's an extra
step to run  StringEncoding(atob()).

-Charles