Re: [whatwg] Fullscreen events dispatched to elements

From: Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 10:08:08 -0700
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Chris Pearce <cpearce@mozilla.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

On Jun 5, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> Why should we standardize this if we always notify the document? Is
> there a benefit to notifying both the element and the document?

I think Vincent put forward a reasonable argument.  The document is a finite, shared resource.  Requiring authors to share that resource will inevitably lead to conflicts.  Those (hypothetical) conflicts may be manageable, but including the fullscreen element in the event dispatch gives developers a means to avoid them entirely.

> For better or worse, existing implementations are still prefixed as
> far as I know and incompatible with each other. So that in itself is
> not really an argument for changing the standard.

Of course.  I was just pointing out an alternate solution.

-Jer