Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 23:19:42 +0000 (UTC)
To: Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>
cc: Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, 10 May 2012, Rafael Weinstein wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 May 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >
> > But ok, let's assume that the use case is "create an element and its
> > subtree so that you can insert dynamically generated parts of an
> > application during runtime", e.g. inserting images in a dynamically
> > generated gallery [...]
>
> [...[ but here's one that comes to mind which is valid markup: What's
> the output for this

My proposal would return a single option element with the value "One".

But the example here suggests a different use case. There are presumably
three elements there, not one. If this is a use case we want to address,
then let's go back to the use cases again: what is the problem we are
trying to solve? When would you create a document fragment of some
options, instead of just creating a <select> with options?