Re: [DOM3 Events/DOM4] re-dispatching trusted events with initEvent

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:52:01 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:02:22 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>>> (DOM3's language
>>> about "default actions" confuses this; I suggest reading DOM4's event
>>> section to get a good picture of how this actually works.)
>> Or rather how the DOM4 editor is choosing to conceptualize it, which
>> may not have much bearing on how it actually works in actual browsers.
> Last time I discussed this with Jonas Sicking he agreed that Gecko could
> change some things here and he also agreed with the model put forward.
> If the model is wrong we should fix it of course.

It's a conceptual model.  I'm just saying that actual implementations
behave differently on the inside; I don't think the difference is
black-box distinguishable from a typical web page.

> I'm not sure how extensions are relevant here.

Glenn asked why events need internal state that indicates whether
they're trusted.  Extensions are one of the reasons.

> If you allow them to do
> complex things then of course they will be complex to implement, but
> there is not much we can do about that.

Sure there is, where "we" == "browser vendors".  We can expose APIs to
extensions to make them easier to implement.  APIs that expose things
like the trusted state of events.