[cors] what's an example a simple request with credentials?

From: Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:03:25 -0500
To: public-webapps@w3.org
I am failing to come up with a sequence of calls to XMLHttpRequest
that will trigger credential processing while remaining a simple
request. Explicit credentials passed to open() are prohibited for all
cross-origin requests, and url-embedded credentials seem to trigger
the same prohibition. An Authorization header is non-simple.
Certificates would be rather gigantically difficult in the testing
environment I'm working with. There's talk of cookies, but those would
also make the request non-simple, wouldn't they?