Re: [FileAPI] Remove readAsBinaryString?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:26:34 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:12:21 +0100, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:
> Wouldn't mind a more managed log of API shifts. Any ideas for a very
> simple deprecation journal?

There's
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#historical for
the DOM at the moment.

> I just learned about CanvasPixelArray being turned over today and I
> follow the lists.
>
> A simple HTML.deprecated list would have the dual use of notifying
> followers about strong progress. It'd relieve editors of some of these
> concerns.

What would the criteria be? APIs often change when still in development.
Non-standard features get removed every month. And the list of previously
standard now non-standard also grows (see above for the DOM). And a lot of
it on the basis of "lets see if this works because it would be much
better" and not a complete buy-in from the moment the change occurs (again
see above, removing Attr nodes is a big undertaking and might not be
successful).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/