Re: [FileAPI] Length of the opaque string for blob URLs

From: Arun Ranganathan <aranganathan@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 03:21:34 -0800 (PST)
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Jonas Sicking (jonas@sicking.cc)" <jonas@sicking.cc>, Feras Moussa <ferasm@microsoft.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>
> UUID and the length of the string is shorter than 36 characters. While
> I have no problem with the recommendation to use UUIDs in the spec,
> since it isn't a MUST I wonder whether the length requirement needs to
> be a MUST. Could we relax this requirement?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#OpaqueStringDiscussion

Adrian: I'm willing to relax this.  I suppose it *is* inconsistent to insist on 36 chars when we don't insist on UUID.  But I suspect when it comes time to making blob: a registered protocol (it was discussed on the IETF/URI listserv), the lack of MUSTs will be a sticking point.  We'll take that as it comes, though :)

-- A*