Re: [Selectors API 2] Is matchesSelector stable enough to unprefix in implementations?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:00:17 +0100
To: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 2011-11-25 00:19, Sean Hogan wrote:
> This has been raised before, but I'll restate it here.
> How should the selector be expanded in
> elt.findAll("div span, div :scope span")?

The implication of :scope has to be done on a per complex selector
basis, rather than applied to the entire list.  That would be equivalent to:

elt.findAll(":scope div span, div :scope span")

> If this isn't to throw an error then a more complex definition is
> required which can apply a different rule for implying :scope in
> different parts of the selector argument. This is sure to be confusing
> for anyone reading the code.

Selectors in selector lists are always independent of each other, so
authors who use a selector list would likely assume that one doesn't
affect how another in the list matches.  It would seem far more
confusing for authors to do it using the other alternatives.

Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software