Re: [Selectors API 2] Is matchesSelector stable enough to unprefix in implementations?

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:38:29 +1100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-webapps@w3.org
On 23/11/11 12:17 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 11/22/11 6:50 AM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Last time we had this discussion, you had a desire to keep the name
>> prefixed until the refNodes and :scope stuff was implemented [1]. What's
>> the status on that now?
>
> The status is that I've given up on the :scope discussion reaching a
> conclusion in finite time (esp. because it sounds like people would
> like to change what it means depending on the name of the function
> being called) and would be quite happy to ship an implementation that
> only takes one argument.  Web pages can use .length on the function to
> detect support for the two-argument version if that ever happens.

Are there any issues with:

- If you want to use selectors with explicit :scope then you use
querySelector / querySelectorAll / matchesSelector.

- If you want to use selectors with :scope implied at the start of each
selector in the selector list (as most js libs currently do) then you
use find / findAll / matches.

The alternative option (find / findAll / matches can accept explicit
:scope, but will otherwise imply :scope) seems to be where all the
ambiguity lies.

Sean